John M. Cash, PhD
John is a well-known and trusted advisor in development circles, providing counsel to both public and private institutions in the United States and internationally. He joined Marts&Lundy in 2001, following eight years as Associate Vice Chancellor for University Relations and Campaign Director at the University of California, Berkeley. John oversaw Berkeley’s New Century Campaign, which ultimately raised more than $1.4 billion for the campus.
Before joining Berkeley, John was Associate Dean for Development in the School of Humanities and Sciences at Stanford University. He was the lead fundraiser for Stanford’s largest school during the nation’s first $1 billion+ campaign. Prior to that, he was Executive Director of Development and Campaign Director at Mills College in Oakland, California.
John has led the firm’s pioneering research on the evolution of public university development programs, and he has been active as a speaker for the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) and other professional organisations across the world. He has been involved with more than fifteen $1 Billion + campaigns. He also served as Marts&Lundy’s Chair of the Board of Directors from 2012 to 2017. In January 2020, he transitioned from a full-time consultant into an Of Counsel role where he continues to serve a limited number of long-time clients.
- Arizona State University Foundation
- Deakin University, Melbourne
- Elon University
- Florida International University
- Imperial College, London
- The National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine
- The National Park Foundation
- Rice University
- Smith College
- Smithsonian Institution
- Trinity College, Cambridge University
- University of California, Irvine
- University of California, Santa Barbara
- University of California, Office of the President
- University of Hawaii Foundation
- University of Rochester
- University of Texas at Austin
- Wake Forest University